Our Volunteer Program
Spend an afternoon with the children of San Juan de Dios
We have teamed up with an organization in Cusco, San Juan de Dios, to work with the children of the Maria Salome Ferro orphanage.
This orphanage, located in the heart of Cusco, currently houses 39 boys, ages 7 to 17. They receive funding from the government for food and partial subsidy for education, but are dependent on donations and volunteers for all other expenses (clothing, toiletries, bedding, staff, transportation, physicians, etc).
We have three different ways for trekkers and tourists to get involved:
- Volunteer visit – 4 PM on the day of your briefing. You will be given a tour and have the opportunity to interact with some of the children. You will have the opportunity to learn about the culture and specific conditions that lead to residence in the orphanage.
- Extended volunteer visit – Saturday or Sunday. Spend a full day with the children and possibly participate in an activity or outing. This allows more time to get to know the kids in a more relaxed environment.
- Donation of supplies – This is one of the most important areas. Many of our trekkers and tourists will add a few things to their suitcase and these things can make a huge difference. This is their current list of needs, as of July 19, 2015.
- Hats (they are in need of this right now in the form of sun hats)
- School supplies such as pencils, pens and notebooks. They specifically mentioned that they are currently not in need of crayons, markers, etc.
- Shampoo. Regarding shampoo, they prefer brands that can only be bought here in Peru, so that might be more difficult. They mentioned a brand called Sedal, which is available almost everywhere in Cusco.
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- They are grateful for any and all donations, large and small. Just because it isn´t on this list doesn´t mean it will not be greatly appreciated and put to good use!
As far as clothing, almost anything will be great. Keep in mind that the boys are 7 to 17 years old. Also, they have a sister organization that provides housing for girls ages 7 to 17. So if you have clothing for girls, please feel free to bring those as well. Anything that can be donated will be very much appreciated.
Visits can be set up on pretty much any day and on short notice. So you don´t have to make a specific commitment right now. We just want you to know that the opportunity is there. We can also set up something custom for you if you have a particular interest or if any of the above are not conducive with your schedule.
This is a very rewarding experience and we hope you will join us!
For further information don´t hesitate to email or call!
+51 953 803 132